Amazon link localization makes sense – in most cases.
However, it is not for everyone and before you jump on the bandwagon of localizing your Amazon links, consider the following aspects.
- Are the products you are linking to “international”? For example if you are selling American Footballs that is a sport only in US, it may not make much sense to localize that link. Even if a visitor from Germany clicks the link and sent to German Amazon store, its highly unlikely that the product will be available in Germany or that the visitor will actually buy it. In such situations, a service to localize Amazon links may not make sense.
- Are your visitors “reasonably” international? A typical website has about 40%-70% of visitors from the primary country and the remaining 30%-60% from international locations. If that is the case for you – you need Amazon link localization, absolutely! However, if your website attracts a relatively local set of visitors (e.g. if you have a local parenting community and link to toys or diapers on Amazon), an Amazon link localization service will be of little use.
These considerations are probably obvious once laid out like this, but we often see websites going for link localization even if its not for them. Evaluate your website on these criteria and if it makes sense for you, by all means go for Amazon link localization. If you are a “typical” website, you would likely get a 20%-30% bump in your Amazon Associate earnings.